How to make a jewel-toned succulent pumpkin

A recent purchase. We're not big on fall decorations. A couple pots of mums for the outside. A couple decorative pumpkins we've had for many years (maybe decades) made cleverly from air filters and painted orange, made by my Aunt Doris. That's pretty much it for us for the fall. But when I saw these pumpkins filled with these jewel-toned succulents at Lockwoods Greenhouses, I caved.


The original price was more than I'd normally spend - but I had $20 in Lockwood's "points" I was going to save for my annuals in the spring that I used toward this. That made it way more attractive.

They're made by Rebecca (Becky) Watts, of Hamburg NY. They are real pumpkins. The pumpkins are a specific types with very thick skins that don't rot quickly, and will not leak when watered. The succulents are glued in place into moss. I was told that it will easily last four months – and as long as through February. At that time, the succulents can be replanted. I have just the perfect hypertufa planter to put them in when it's time.

If you're local, you can attend Becky's two workshops at Lockwoods, on Saturday, October 6 and Saturday, October 13, both at 1:30 (though the October 6 class is sold out already!). $40 gets you the expert instruction, plants, and pumpkins. Call the store (649-4684) or stop in Lockwoods to sign up. There are many on display in the store if you get there – if they haven't run out.




Comments

Popular Posts