Harry Potting Shed progress...

The potting shed was started in earnest this past weekend. It's the largest puzzle I've ever constructed. First was the previous weekend, preparing the base – digging, adding "base" gravel, placing a pallet and a half of 16" square pavers and leveling with sand, then sweeping sand into cracks. Then watering to help sink the sand into the cracks. Then more sweeping. And wetting. And sweeping. And wetting....
Anxiety. Will it come together correctly? Math's never been my
strong suit, and there is a lot of math here. I spent more time
staring at it than I did assembling.
This past weekend was construction. First a base of pressure treated wood, then one side at a time. Measuring, cutting, measuring, cutting hammering, measuring cutting and hammering. Three days of it with intermittent trips to Home Depot for supplies.

I was able to get the whole thing framed, and then half of it walled up. This weekend I'll finish the walling and start the roof. Its looking much larger than I had thought it would. It's 8'x12'. God only knows how tall it will be.

I've built this 1,000 times in my head, so I didn't have an actual drawn-out plan to refer to – which amazes and infuriates my wife. Of course that also leads to the aforementioned extra trips to Home Depot when I run out of lumber. Or nails.

The windows come from the attic of the house. The door is
from an original door that was in the house that has been
in the garage for the last 14 years.
I'm just excited to get to the point of the finish work – clapboard siding, trim, shingles, potting bench, window boxes, painting, and more. And then there's the inside – shelving, benches, brackets – and LOTS of space for garden supplies. So much garden junk and patio furniture is jammed in our garage in the winter that passengers have to get out of the car outside the garage because once the car's in the garage, we can't open the doors!

This is not a she-shed, nor is it a party shed, or an office, or man cave. It's a definite garden shed.
In context to the rest of the garden. It's incorporated in the checkerboard garden, next to the potager.
The Harry Potter Garden will go back in the front bed you see at the bottom here. Maybe I should call it the "Harry Potting Shed."
Here's the plan. As with any plan, changes are occurring as I proceed.
Not the shed, but the front garden is looking uber-lush right now. Next it'll be shaggy, then unkempt, then out of control – they are its seasons.

Comments

  1. If you get really short on lumber and it's the middle of the night and Home Depot is closed... we can spare some... on the condition that you put a cute puppy statue at the front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't hear about any sore muscles. If I tried to build that around here, the zoning police would arrive in no time.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to bore you about the sore muscles, aching back, cryingly painful knees, or the hammered bloody finger. Though I guess that would add more drama to the recounting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts