Spring around the spread


Last weekend I got done the bulk of the spring clean up. This weekend will be more concentrated projects, eating and drinking with friends, and perhaps the first kayak ride of the season.

Here's a round up of the activity around the spread...

Bulbs are fading, but these new bulbs from Colorblends Wholesale Flowering Bulbs are teh longest lasting I've ever had. The hellstrip will get a brick and paver make-over - hopefully this weekend.
The front yard is bursting. Window boxes planted. Cones by the front door done.
My wife (the groundskeeper) has been diligently weeding and the front is looking good.
The Harry Potter Garden is back in place - pretty much where it was before the Taj-ma-shed was built.
I've been working on the interior of the shed. The walls are lined with the pickets from our old fence, which was replaced this spring. The pickets hide a multitude of carpentry sins.
I only have a little bit left of the pickets to finish up the wall with the round window. Next? Shelving and tool holder/racky-things.
I'd say the exterior is 90% done. Some other projects I'd like to get to, but not a high priority. Need to find some re-use large spindles for the legs of the outside potting bench.
Had to add much grass seed to fill in the checkerboard garden. One Redbud Tree had to be taken out for the new cedar fence.
Pots are planted up with annuals and the indoor plants are starting to enjoy their summer vacation outdoors. The fish head fountain is operational.
The heuchera are VERY happy and look the best they ever have. I do have to plug in the copper fountain though.
The marble & granite carpet was under a tarp all winter and needed no repairs. It does need some good clean sand swept into it though. I'll do that before the tours start. Not sure I like the new bench here.
The rock garden needs labels. The rocks come fro our trips in the states and abroad.
With the new fence, people are noticing the copper leaves I made a few years back. They've been there a couple years, but they must've blended in with the old fence, as people are remaking on them. The parterre garden needs work.
Black-eyed Susan Vine is the only plant we've put on this grate, in this weird spot, that we like.
Thai basil by the grill, in the pot set in the counter.
The diamond-shaped dwarf pear tree espalier is vigorous this year. Early warm temps and a mid-May frost may have set them up for no fruit this year.
The shed is prettier than the old timber jungle gym that was there.
These pots hanging on the neighbor's fence got potted up. Only when I'm at the nursery, I can never remember if there are five or six of them. I bought plants for five. Yes, there are six. What are the chances I can find the same plants again if I go back?
One of the dwarf pear trees had died a few years ago. I finally did something about it and bought a mail-order bare root dwarf pear. So far, so good.
I lost about a third of the succulents (mostly Hens & Chicks) in the vertical garden succulent frame. I bought some new plugs and they seem to be taking to it pretty well. The sedums last best over the winter.

Comments

  1. I need to relax after reading all the work you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chuyên võng điện máy đưa võng hay võng điện cho bé và chia sẻ kinh nghiệm giúp quý khách biết cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất cho giấc ngủ của bé.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts