Having a ball in the garden

After all these years of visiting Garden Walk Buffalo gardens, I still, on occasion, find gardens that leave me awestruck and delighted. This is this year's entry. The home garden of Julia and Tony Favorito on Linwood Avenue is a creative person's dream garden. The creative people are both designers, Tony a toy designer at Fisher Price; Julia a freelance designer of anything she can get her hands on—toys, gardens, interiors, and her crowning garden achievement—this sphere she built (yes, she built it herself).

The deck inside comfortably fits
5-6 Adirondack Chairs.
New this year, it was built in time for Tony's birthday this year. Julia also built it so there would be something interesting in the back yard to look at all year round from inside the house, but especially something significant and sculptural to see in the wintertime.

She purchased the plans for the sphere online, and had the wooden marine-grade staves custom milled by a friend, they had to be of exacting sizes. Then she assembled the base, then built the deck that is the interior platform, then finished the rest of the sphere.

And that cubist sculpture in the foreground? Tony learned how to weld and made that himself.

The large wall in the background is the back wall of the squash courts for the Delaware Avenue's Saturn Club. It was there when they moved in. They planted and encouraged the ivy on the wall.

The staves were curved as they were
installed. They were delivered flat.
Even without the sphere, it's a pretty amazing garden—where creative people, talented DIYers are married with style and good taste. There's a formal parterre garden, fire pit, vegetable potager, outdoor dining are and still plenty of room for a large lawn and an oversized Buckminster Fuller-ish sphere.

I hope you can find your way to this Linwood Avenue garden on Garden Walk Buffalo next Saturday and Sunday, July 28 & 29, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Rather than blather, let me show you some photos...
A kitchen garden, intermixed with perennials, takes up a side yard.
Hops.
Much like fruit stays fresh under a pyramid, based on my research, I can now unequivocally state that a beer tastes better in a sphere.
A well-placed spotlight projects art on that big solid wall.
Sculpture you can party in.
The fire pit with a sexy little wall with an espalier.
The formal French parterre garden.
I have a new favorite garden. You must by now too.

Comments

  1. That's freaking amazing. I want to have a ball too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say a big thanks to Dr Sayo who God have sent to heal his people with his natural medicine I pray that God will bless you for the good work you are doing.for all who are still suffering from this illness, you can also contact him through his email on :;; sayoherbalhealer@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2349012175679 visit his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SayoHerbalHealer like they say his herbal remedy is the only permanent solution to Seizure. He Can as well cure the following... Herpes Virus, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis A/B, Shingles, Cold Sore, Epilepsy, Wart, Lupus, Diabetes, Men/Woman Infertility, Seizure, Cancer all types. visit his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SayoHerbalHealer

      Delete
  2. LOVE the sphere and want to make a smaller one over the winter. I searched on line but don't see a source for the plans. Can you send a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I believe this is where she bought the plans—I know she had to figure out how to make it a complete sphere, this one ends abruptly about three-quarters down. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOOD-DOME-Geodesic-Dome-Greenhouse-TECNICAL-DRAWINGS-4m-8m-diameter-/223062691121

      Delete
  3. I love it! And I'd build it too! I also have a love for the fantastic sphere shape! It is such a perfect simple but also complex form. In my garden I call them orbs! But I make out of concrete! https://www.madebybarb.com/?s=orbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. barb, I think this was it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOOD-DOME-Geodesic-Dome-Greenhouse-TECNICAL-DRAWINGS-4m-8m-diameter-/223062691121

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The link you posted no longer works. I can’t find the plans… my parents have a huge property and this would be awesome. Can you please help me with your Google skills to find the plans again? I’ve googled a bunch of things and nada.

      Delete
  5. HERPES INFECTION CURE IS 100% AVAILABLE WITH THE HELP OF DR OGBERAESE HERBAL MEDICINE.Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man Called Dr Ogberaese. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Ogberaese , i came in with his email through a friend in USA called Edith Rose and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV1&2 to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through his email drogberaese54@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073818653

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can always make our relationship the best for us, life or career a successful as we desire, it only take you to put in the right effort and if you feel you need help then look for help. After my man left me heartbroken. I was lonely, devastated and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and powerful man (Dr Akhigbe) who helped me brought back my man and now he loves me far more than ever am so happy with life now thank you so much drakhigbespellhome7@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2349021374574

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, everyone! I'm here to explore blogs and forums about the wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus). I was positive about the deadly virus called herpes and I lost hope because I was outcast and rejected even by my closest friends. I searched on-line to know an enquirer cure for Herpes and I read someone's testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so I decided to contact the same herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days! I used the med as he instructed (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! it's really like a dream but I am so happy! That's the reason I decided to also add more comments on Him so that more can be saved just like me! and you can get in touch with him via email chiefdrlucky@gmail.com or WhatsApp  +2348132777335 Kindly visit website https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate your commendable words in the post. Thanks for such a piece of useful content, keep it up.
    Garden Storage Shed

    ReplyDelete

  10. Join the Illuminati Freemason Brotherhood!!!Email illuminatisecretetemple666@yahoo.com.........

    BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI.
    1.A Cash reward worth $500,000, 00 after initiation.
    2.A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at $100,000
    3.A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice
    4.One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination.
    5.One year Golf Membership package
    6.A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World
    7.A total Lifestyle change
    8.Access to Bohemian Grove.
    9.Monthly payment of $300,000 into your bank account every month as a member
    10.One Month booked.appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World,

    If you are suffering from Herpes...contact this herbal doctor today on this Email:robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com..,,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts