This Apple product fell far from the tree



I love Apple Computer. I've worked on their Macintosh computers since the late '80s. In my book, they can do no wrong. Until now.

Their blogging/website software, iWeb, is, in concept, great. In practicality, the blogging software has a ways to go before it is compatible with the way the blogging world spins.

That being said, I've switched from iWeb to Blogger with my blog. I will miss the ease of working with images and type. I'll miss the on-the-fly photo editing, I'll miss the drag & drop photo compatibility with iPhoto. I'll miss, most of all, the design flexibility (me being a designer!). My company website (JCharlier.com) is still up on iWeb.

What I gain is cross-platform compatibility. I'll gain the ability to actually show up in RSS feeds. The site will be quicker to load. I'll be able to post remotely. Readers will have less problems viewing the site and it'll be more consistent across browser platforms. In short, it's better for everyone that reads it. Both of you.

Yes. That's my home office workstation above (minus the stack of business cards Post-It notes and other assorted office detritus), with a photo of my back yard on the screen. Usually I'm torn each day to either be in front of the screen or IN the backyard. But without time in front of the sreen, I'd have no backyard!

Comments

  1. Welcome to your new blog home, Jim! And congrats about being on TV--even if it was quite a surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you blackswamp–girl – my first comment at my new home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim,

    I see you've had enough of the .mac / .me stuff. Nice video, thought it came off very well.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new digs and the profile pic!

    The video was great. I failed to notice anything that needed cleaning up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jam n' jazzz,
    The .mac/.me debacle, which I'm not sure is 100% cleared up, is uncharacteristic for Apple. (For those unaware, Apple changed over its online softwares t(to .me) at the same time they introduced the new iPhone causing interruptions to any subscriber to their web service .mac. They left many users high & dry with little to no communication for a few days.)

    Apple,
    Video is pretty forgiving. Glad he didn't stand still. If anything, I wished he'd shown MORE of the yard, rather than sweeping back & forth in the same area. You've been in my yard - there's more to it than the small area covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, I was just coming to your previous blog site to use it as an example of a place I can't visit because it takes too long to load and grabs my computer and won't let go of it til it is done loading and I see you have switched. Part of that problem is on my end with satellite internet service that has fluctuating speed, but your old site and now I see David Perry Photograper with the same problem are both the .mac

    Now I can visit your blog .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christopher,
    And having you visit is why I switched. I'm sorry my old site was an example for you of sites that don't work well! Glad to have to stop by once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts