DIY garden bench, window boxes, and shutters for the garden shed

It's been a busy few weeks in the basement workshop. Not only did I make three window boxes from old louvered closet doors left over from a bathroom remodel, but I've made a garden bench from an old headboard we were going to throw out. And then I made some shutters for the garden shed's round-topped windows.

An old headboard and foot board from a wooden bed frame
have been hanging out in the basement for about eight years

It was pretty easy to put the pieces together. a cut here a cut there, a coupla' screws here and there.
I didn't have any old wood the right size for the bench, so I did buy some. They're 2"x6" deck boards.
And the painting's been the fun part. The overall bench is the blue-green being used on the shed – only because that's the paint color I have the most of. Then the other colors from the shed are the other highlight colors. I have more to do – second coats, and the spindle across the top of the bench back.
I've got diamonds as a theme throughout my garden – from the checkerboard garden to the diamond-shaped pear tree espalier. Instead of just doing more triangles, I cam up with this icon of a diamond being grown from a terracotta pot.
I still may add some painted embellishments to give it a little more of a Mackenzie Childs vibe.
I'm only adding a set of shutters on one window of the shed. The other windows just don't have the space for shutters. But I wanted actual working shutters. I grew up in a house that had fake, decorative, non-working shutters and they always looked kinda' dumb to me.
I cut out the same diamond planter shape as from the bench. Continuity, repeated patterns. It's a designer thing.

The inside of the cut-outs got the terracotta paint color used on other parts of the shed.
Even though the window these will be on is not a working window, I wanted them to to be genuine, not fake. They'll get some hardware - decorative hinges and some handles that I have from some other project from the house from years ago.
From two closet doors, this is all I have left. I'll find another project for this.

they're deeper than needed, but I've filled them up about one-third with expanding foam and will line them with plastic and still provide some drainage holes.
Few coats of terracotta colored paint and they look like a million bucks.
Next up? A small slate-tile worktable, an arbor, and lattice panels – all for the exterior of the shed.






Comments

  1. I love the bench and the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malcolm. Colors were only determined by what I had on hand!

      Delete
  2. I've been following the construction since the beginning, and it's all so cool! I've really enjoyed seeing everything. Someone on the Facebook page Vegetable Gardeners of Buffalo NY had a question about window boxes, so I directed her to this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts