Home owner Arfredah Gaines is mentioned, and quotes from Joe Han, of The English Gardener (who took on two houses and the lot between them).
|I'll get back and take better photos this year, |
after the plants have had time to settle in.
|Home owners & landscapers consulted on each yard design, |
there's a lot of trust in having someone design a garden for you.
And we're not done there. We didn't just create gardens. We're creating gardeners. Each home owner has been given individual, and group, lessons on maintaining their new plantings. That was last year during and after the competition. (My heart went pitter-patter when I drove by in the Fall and saw residents were still out there watering their gardens, months after we left.) We'll go BACK this year and more lessons will be given, questions answered, and maybe come up with a few surprises for them – last year, the Olmsted Parks Conservancy gave them all hoses for watering and Lockwood's Greenhouses provided barrel container gardens for each garden. Last years' home owners will also be invited to all our events this year as well – garden tours, author talks, bus tours, workshops and symposium.
|Day one last year. the street was closed off and overtaken |
by trucks, backhoes, tractors and teams of workers.
This year, the National Garden Festival is looking to do the competition in a different neighborhood in a different part of the city (stay tuned for details). We're looking at having last year's 19 garden owners come and meet and talk to this year's Front Yard Competition home owners, hopefully creating a larger camaraderie of home owners, landscapers, and organizers – and uniting neighborhoods that would not normally have that chance.
Here is a list of the landscapers that provided free design & labor, during what was probably the hottest week of the year. Hire them. They're good. And they're good people.
- Beaver Landscaping, Inc., 759-7044
- Beyond the Basics Property Services, Inc.
- Birch Grove Landscaping & Nursery, Inc.
- Buffalo Horticulture and Garden Design
- Dore Landscape Associates
- Elbers Landscape Service, Inc.
- The English Gardener, Ltd.
- Johnson’s Nursery
- Menne Nursery Corp.
- Murray Brothers Nurseries, Inc.
- T. O’Donnell Landscaping
- Pace Landscaping
- S & R Greenleaf Landscaping
- What I'm up to in Buffa10
- Rain didn't stop the tour
- Wet Friday fun in Buffalo
- Buffalo, NY: Known For So Much More Than Snow
- Instant Make-overs Done Right in Buffalo
- A neighborhood make-over
- Buffa10 (Day 3) sun & spectacular gardens!
- It may be the only garden tour to ever get a standing ovation...
- To Buffalo and back again
- Revitalizing Buffalo - One Neighbourhood at a Time
- upstate update: buffa10