Weekend Work Two: The Anniversary Present.

As a 25th anniversary present, my wife bought me plants (she knows me too well). They are to replace the gangly and in-constant-need-of trimming white-flowering ninebark that hid our air conditioner (and intruded over into our neighbor's porch if we didn't maintain it).

We bought a Redvein Enkianthus "Red Bells" for its columnar habit, red stems, and height of 6-8'. It also has creamy yellow flowers veined in red in summer and brilliant red leaves in the fall, and berries in between. The other plant, for in front of the Redvein, is a Lacecap Hydrangea in a pale pink with reddish veining. I'm proud of myself for actually planting them according to their suggested mature plant size. I have a habit of planting things too close.

My wife's always hated that ninebark shrub, we never liked the white flowers, and she's wanted it replaced for a while, hence the anniversary gift. (I know her too well).

She gets her way and I get new plants. It's a system we've developed over 25 years. We both win.

Comments

Popular Posts