Snowflake Field Guide Part 2 – Storm Terminology


What do these clouds have in store? Blizzard? Flurry? Squall? Here in Buffalo, we choose snow over earthquakes, brush fires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, hurricanes, 100+ degree weather, mudslides, locusts and other pestilence & plagues. So differences in snow terminology matters. Forewarned is forearmed. And helps determine the shoveling schedule.

Storm Terminology:
Blizzard Winds of 35 mph or more with snow and blowing snow reducing visibility for at least three hours.

Blowing Snow Wind-driven snow that reduces visibility. Blowing snow may be falling snow and/or snow on the ground picked up by wind.

Snow Squalls Brief, intense snow showers accompanied by strong, gusty winds. Accumulation may be significant.

Snow Showers Snow falling at varying intensities for brief periods of time. Some accumulation is possible.

Snow Flurries
Light snow falling for short durations with little or no accumulation.


Years ago, as a direct mail promotion, I created a Snowflake Field Guide for the Buffalo Museum of Science. Each day this week, I'm posting some facts about flakes. It was originally intended for kids, but I didn't know much of this info when I started.

Comments

  1. And you aren't worried about cliche? ;^)
    I agree, I'd rather deal with snow, snow and more snow than volcanoes, hurricanes, brush fires, mudslides & earthquakes. Unfortunately, the Chicago area is occasionally subjected to 100 temps.
    I enjoyed learning the names of snowflakes in your last post. I can't decide which I prefer, stellar dendrites or sectored plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I forgot volcanoes! We don't worry about those at all. Or tsunamis.

    I don't worry so much about the cliches. Not much I can do about it. We have snow. It's not as though we're the only ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about those distinctions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm just ... jealous! I miss the SNOW!!! Other than the occasional hurricane, our weather is well ... warm and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How It Grows,
    I'm actually envious of you!

    Pam,
    If you miss the snow, I can have some sent to you. We have plenty to share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts