Gardening in winter in Buffalo

I haven't posted in a while - there's not much to post about around the garden this time of year. Other than south of Buffalo getting anywhere between four and seven feet of snow (at my house we've had just six inches so far this season), there's not much to write home about.

Can you see it?
Above is the area I've laid out for the "Potter Potting Shed" I'll start it in the spring. Seeing how close it is to the fence on the far side, I will be altering the exterior a bit. I can still add shelving on the exterior back there for pots and stuff, but there won't be room for a potting bench. I may lay a course of stones back there for a path. The Harry Potter Garden will go back in on the left near the driveway, basically where it was before.

This winter I'll be hunting down salvaged and used parts from my own house and a local reuse/salvage store.

I have kept busy with meetings on garden things. Garden Walk Buffalo is taking on the responsibilities of the National Garden Festival. Garden Walk Buffalo, the two day tour will remain the same, but the group will also work with the volunteers of the National Garden Festival to make their bus and bike tours, garden art sale, educational events, Open Gardens throughout the area, public space makeovers successful (and profit-generating!). We'll also help the other 14-16 garden tours in the area promote themselves. And put on an art gallery exhibition of works created in gardens last summer. There's never a lack of things to do garden-wise in Buffalo, even in the winter. Just not all of it is in the garden.

The succulent frame is heading into its first winter. I may still get a shrubcoat or burlap cover for it, just to keep out the brutal winds.

Grasses are cut, layers of leaf mulch are laid on the flower beds.
Each year we let our pumpkins "melt" in the garden - composting slowly with a little help from the munching squirrels
The ever bearing strawberries look like they could still bear some fruit.
The hypertufa of sedums are waiting for some snow cover - but they're all still green.
I added the greenery to the window boxes on the front of the house.

Comments

Popular Posts