Messing with young minds



Yes, they do look something like you might find in the Gardening While Intoxicated garden before you hit the dirt, but alas, you’re seeing them as they are – warped classic pedestals and planters. The are a clever nod to the winds coming off Lake Erie. To hallucinogenicly-prone students, these probably appear perfectly straight. They certainly make you do a double take when you see them for the first time.

These way cool planters are in Founder’s Plaza, on the north campus of the State University of Buffalo (UB). The plants in the urns, which seem a bit uninspired in these photos, are intended to change with the seasons.

For the gentle wind doth move Silently, invisibly is the name of the instillation by artist Brian Tolle. The installation is on a two-year loan. It was commissioned by Cleveland Public Art and was most recently displayed for two years in downtown Cleveland. The artist came to Buffalo and actually studied wind patterns in the plaza to site the pieces.

This is a favorite old post, created before I was on Blogger. I repeat it here to save & catalog it on this new site. Sorry if you've read it before.

Comments

  1. Wow! Amazing. I love them!
    Haven't seen you for a while on my blog. Would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely grab your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever. Although I agree the plants are rather uninspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unnerving... i like them, but not for my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tatyana,
    I have visited your blog of late, just not been leaving comments as often as I'd like to.

    Mother nature's garden,
    You can't look at them cavalierly!

    Jean,
    I haven't been out there to see if they really changed the plantings.

    em,
    I'd like one for mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts