Friday, May 30, 2014

The Coral Bells are ringing

My coral bells (heuchera) are looking great. They're really the first color in the garden each year, even before the snowdrops and daffodils. I planted this bed two years ago to feature the handmade copper coral bell fountain I made. A couple plants burned up last summer, and a couple didn't make it through the winter (the seem to heave out of the ground a bit) but the ones that survived are happy, as you can see in these photos taken yesterday.

I maintain  the the heuchera are a better choice for your garden than most perennials and even annuals. They come in so many colors (reds, golds, yellows, chartreuse, green, purple – dappled, veined, variegated), textures (smooth, fuzzy, shiny) and sizes – and keep their color throughout the year – even under the snow. Rather than spending beaucoup bucks on seasonal coleus for color, heuchera are a much better value.

The copper fountain still works! I have to bring it in each year - it's not sturdy enough to handle the snow.
The green in the lower portion of the photo is a channel of violets which looked spectacular about two weeks ago.

I've been trying to ditch those cheap plastic Adirondack chairs, but I've not found an alternate I like yet.
Maybe this will be the year.

4 comments:

  1. Those look beautiful, mine are just green. I really like your copper fountain too! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the fountain a couple years ago. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Very nice look! I agree coral bells are better value and are great plants for all the reasons you mentioned. I have also experienced "heaving" with some, not sure why??? Like the fountain but love the Japanese Maple mixed into that bed, Great look.
    Regards, Rich Groblewski - Lanc. Garden Walk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have a kaleidoscope of color. I have difficulty growing them in my soil, but have client gardens where the coral bells flourish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails