Something from Chelsea I'm really going to do

I was really blown away with the great colors and color combinations of the heuchera at one display at Chelsea -- oranges, pinks, chartreuse, gold, purples, forest green, maroon -- in variegated, solid, shaded, splattered -- matte or gloss finish. Even the little white/light-colored blooms add a light splash of color that Monet liked in his gardens at Giverny -- his “shimmery” small-flowering white flowers --  used to make other colors “pop.”

I have a raised bed area to which I want to add a fountain. Then, I'm going to add colorful heuchera all around it. Why plant ephemeral flowers when heuchera provides as much color and never fades, even into the fall?



Comments

  1. Wow what an amazing display! I only have one so far. Stunning pics. glad to find your blog as I am new in blogland and just starting to post my garden under the Twigs label on my blog
    Veronica
    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have convinced me! I already have the dark plum...but I could be outrageous and it is simple because it is low water! I have a corner raised bed that has part shade and fairly dry...I am planning on planting a purple sambucus (elderberry) in the back, with smaller plants in front (and daffodils and columbine and bluebells rise in spring)...heucheras are low maintenance and low water...so I may just do it and go wild with color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using colourful Heuchera foliage in place of flowers is one of the best kept secrets in gardening. I use them as border plants to finish off perennial compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica,
    Welcome to garden blogsville. Glad you found me too. I'll check out your blog and add it to my list to the right.

    Motormouth,
    Go nuts! I may not be able to this year (my budget director tells me all extra cash has to go toward the newly renovated bathroom) but I'll be collecting hucheras by the end of the summer.

    AllanBecker,
    Why keep it a secret? I. just this weekend, stopped in at one of my favorite gardens on Garden Walk Buffalo. She uses all different kinds of hucheras all over the place. They do add full-time color, are of a decent size (some of hers were massive!) and the coors were bordered on awesome. You landscapers have to give up more of your tricks -- I keep tabs on your site and HAVE learned a few things from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts