Magic or deception. And what’s the difference?


Disney’s Land Pavilion (EPCOT, Disney World, Orlando) offers two different presentations of the greenhouse. Both are entertaining and informative, although one is theatrically dramatic, even deceptive, to illustrate a point.

The boat tour takes you through the tropical greenhouse of rice, sugar cane, peanuts, cacao, bananas and a 59-foot peach palm

"Living with the Land" boat tour

The first is the “Living with the Land” boat tour through the greenhouse. The gist is educating about innovative growing techniques - hydroponics, vertical growing, specialized irrigation, aeroponics and aquacell growing of aquatic animals for food. The “visuals” – 9-pound lemons, massive cucumbers, immense pumpkins and more – without explanation, achieve this magical, mystical, fascinating, awe-inspiring trip into the future of vegetable gardening.

Vertical growing saves on space. These rotate in a circle in order to get proper amounts of light all around.

"Behind the Seeds" walking tour

This walking tour through the greenhouses, lasting about 45 minutes, gets into more detail. The tour is totally worth it, starting out in the entomology laboratory with a quick lesson (with gross visuals), on harmful & beneficial insects. The maintenance of the gardens are handled as organically as humanly possible, although, only as a very last resort, they will use any man-made materials to eradicate disease or pests. They do have a lot invested in these greenhouses.

They also let us know that they have some pollinators, but depend on pollinating by hand in this controlled environment. Pollination by soft-bristled brushes by hand seems labor intensive, but it beats having to deal with the bugs plants usually depend on for pollination. Can you imagine pollinating your yard by hand?

15-pound cucumbers? Nope. Not-great-tasting winter melons.

The tour explains hydroponics in depth and introduces you to the record-setting Chinese 32,000-tomato tomato tree. The greatest benefit of hydroponics being the excelerated rate of growth. You get to see the creation of Mickey-shaped cucumbers, watermelons and pumpkins. There’s a quiz on spices by scent (only one other lady and I could identify Allspice – it is a spice and not a collection of other spices – that’s what most others thought).

The 32,000-tomato tomato tree.

Our guide happened to be an intern specializing in fisheries, so she was most comfortable talking about the growth and care of the alligators, catfish, tilapia, sunshine bass and American eel, which are all production “crops” in this context.

They are working on bonafide research for organizations such as the USDA, as well. The one experiment they would talk about was the work on growing more disease-resistant, shorter citrus trees.

This special tour cost is $14 for guests 10 and over, and $10 for guests 3-9. Same day reservations can be made at the tour desk on the lower level of The Land or you can book a tour in advance – 407-939-8687.

9-pound lemons? Nope. 9-pound pummelos, which is an average size for a pummelo (they have a nearly 2-inch peel.

The deceptive part is the difference between the two tours

On the boat tour, they don’t tell you that the 9-pound lemon is actually not a lemon that size because of their growing techniques or special blend of nutrients. It’s a pummelo (Hirado buntan) a large lemon-looking fruit native to southeastern Asia and an ancestor of the grapefruit.

The substrate for much of the hydroponics at Disney is rock wool, a mineral fiber, similar to perlite.

The huge cucumber-looking plants suspended from above are not cucumbers, but Winter Melon (Benincasa hispada), a gourd with not much flavor on its own.

This is aeroponics – the spraying of nutrients onto plant roots not grown in soil or any medium at all. This is the preferred method for all gardeners in outer space.

The 100-pound pumpkins (shown in the photo at top) are a special variety known to grow large under just the right conditions. The pumpkins here will never get as large as the record-breaking pumpkins grown up north because they need a greater differential in temperature from day to night than the greenhouse can accommodate.

Hydroponic lettuce growth makes for fast growing lettuce with quick crop turnover. Look, they slipped us a mickey!

All vegetables grown in the greenhouses, as well as much of the fishery livestock, is served in the Land Pavilion restaurants – now THAT’s locavoristic - they don’t even leave the building!


Nutrient-laden water is fed at the top of this spiral garden, gravity provides the water distribution with all left over water coming out the bottom being sent back to the top with no loss of water at all.

Comments

  1. Amazing! I've never known about such a garden, although been to the Disney parks several times. I thought we were done with them, but it looks like we need another trip, now. Thanks, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great testimony I would like everyone to read and follow the instructions on how to get the cure for HSV1&2. I got a diagnosed of HSV1&2 March this year and I have been taking pills to prevent an outbreak. I never stop searching for a cure because I strongly believe that there is something somewhere that can get rid of it completely and in August this year, I ran through some comments on Youtube about Dr Osato herbal cure and a lot of people commented about him having the herbs that can get rid of herpes completely. I was excited and I contacted Dr Osato and ordered the cure for myself and he sent it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to take it which I rightly followed and behold I went for checkup after two weeks of taking the herbs and my result shows NEGATIVE. My doctor confirmed with me that I am totally clear from HSV1&2. You can as well contact Dr Osato to get the herbal cure from him. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. Dr Osato also has the cure for the following virus/diseases HIV, HPV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER of any kind, GENITAL HERPES, COLD SORE, VAGINAL INFECTION, ECT. His website is https://osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

      Delete
    2. AN AMAZING REMEDY FOR HSV 1& 2. It's so unbelievable how wonderful herbs can be. when I first saw a post that said that a man have a perfect cure for HSV 1&2, i was like could this be real or some kind of scam but due to my eagerness to be cured I took the risk of contacting him, he gave me reasons to believe he is a real herbalist so I followed all his instructions on how to take the drugs for 14 days and now all my test results shows HSV 1&2 (-) negative , Dr Aba have the most safe cure for herpes and other stubborn virus which are HSV 1&2,STI,STD just name it he has the cure for them all. Contact him via his personal email address which is dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com . Trust me you will like this method, it's safe cheap and easy. Do well to let others know about this.    

      Delete
  2. I cannot get my husband to go to Disney, no matter the lure of gardens and greenhouses. So, I thank you for the "tour" and photos.

    Cheers,
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I'd love to make it down there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatyana,
    Done with them? I find them crass and overly commercial, but I love 'em all the same. I think it's the little girls going to the Bippity Boppity Boutique spending beaucoup dollars and coming out looking less like princesses and a bit more like street-walkers that put me over the edge last we were there. But for the rides and gardens, there's very few places, if any, better.

    Cameron,
    Go without him. He'd only hold you back anyway.

    TC,
    Everyone should go to Disney at least once. That's what Disney's counting on anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember going on that tour. Pretty interesting, I had forgotten about it until I saw the pictures. Leave it to Disney to make a ride out of a greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post Jim. I've visited there, myself! Disney -- it's a wonderful world, isn't it? There are great gardens there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phillip,
    Incredible in a good way, or incredible in a god-what-will-they-exploit-next way?

    Catherine,
    They could make a tour of dust bunnies and have you buying them in the dust bunny gift shop to have them delivered to your room.

    Pam,
    It's not only a wonderful world, it's a small one, afterall. They do have great gardens and host a great annual garden show. Can't fault 'em for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing!!! your garden looks really green and cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Professional mobile app development Canada company offering Android & iOS app development services. I like its sharing. Thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clipping Expert Asia is a reputable photo editing service provider company which provides high-quality background remove service at cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Astrum Granite is the largest fabricator and installer of granite worktopsmarble worktops and quartz worktops stone countertops. We have over 2,000 stone colors. And providing Servicing in united kingdom. Call on +44(0203)290-8427

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Junk Yard

    ReplyDelete
  13. will be posting on there from now on
    problems with the pictures on there is over.gta 5 apk

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great testimony I would like everyone to read and follow the instructions on how to get the cure for HSV1&2. I got a diagnosed of HSV1&2 March this year and I have been taking pills to prevent an outbreak. I never stop searching for a cure because I strongly believe that there is something somewhere that can get rid of it completely and in August this year, I ran through some comments on Youtube about Dr Osato herbal cure and a lot of people commented about him having the herbs that can get rid of herpes completely. I was excited and I contacted Dr Osato and ordered the cure for myself and he sent it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to take it which I rightly followed and behold I went for checkup after two weeks of taking the herbs and my result shows NEGATIVE. My doctor confirmed with me that I am totally clear from HSV1&2. You can as well contact Dr Osato to get the herbal cure from him. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. Dr Osato also has the cure for the following virus/diseases HIV, HPV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER of any kind, GENITAL HERPES, COLD SORE, VAGINAL INFECTION, ECT. His website is https://osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My herpes is cured and it’s a miracle healing. Thanks to Dr.Abolo who cure my Genital Herpes I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.Abolo contact number called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.Abolo medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.Abolo and i am very happy with my hubby and family.or you can also reach him through email:drabololhome@gmail.com or Whats App number+2347044725611 He can also cure so many sickness {1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes {3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis {9}Low spam count. {10}Fibroid.... and many more

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comment by Ashley Bradley




    Hello everyone my name is Ashley Bradley. I suffered from fibroid for over 3 years. I resulted to numerous treatments but this disease won't go. I got so confused about life. I lost so much money finding treatment for this fibroid problem to the extent of carrying out surgery still the situation remains unchanged. I was going through the Facebook when I saw some testimonies on how Dr Omosun uses herbal medicine to help people suffering from Fibroid so I contacted him and explained to him how I have been suffering from the disease. He advised me on how to get to order for the herbal medicine which I did. I received the herbal medicine through DHL after 3 days. I started the herbal treatment and after weeks of using the herbal medicine I began to experience positive changes in my system. I decided to go for a test and result came back negative... I'm so happy to be free and this from Fibroid. You can also contact him on his email:
    omosunharbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp number +2349023705898 https://www.facebook.com /Dr-Omosun-Herbal-Medicine-
    101697838641699
    https://wa.me/message/YMLMFYKJX73VA1

    ReplyDelete
  17. “I was diagnosed with HSV-2 Four years ago. I hardly had any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had s ex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit, sleep, or go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was the natural herbal medicine I later ordered from Dr. Azu after some research. And the symptoms went away right away.” I'm so happy to have come in contact with doctor Azu. Thanks so much. You can also get help from him through his cell phone on +2347087313747 or Email: dr.azuherbalhome@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tested positive for HSV-2 a few months ago. At first, yes, I was devastated thinking I have an incurable STD for life. After doing hours of research I quickly realized genital herpes is a filthy parasite that just likes to hide in your body. Yes, there’s no “medical cure” but that doesn’t mean your body can’t get rid of it. I literally flush it out of my system with the help of Dr. Azu natural herbal medication which I ordered after doing some research. And now I’m HSV-2 Negative, I never believed it until my doctor finally gave me the test results and behold I was HSV free. I’m so glad that I found you Dr. Azu. Thanks so much for your goodness I’m grateful. You can also get your help from him through his Whats App Contact for fast communication +2347087313747 OR Email: dr.azuherbalhome@gmail.com .. ..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tested positive for HSV-2 a few months ago. At first, yes, I was devastated thinking I have an incurable STD for life. After doing hours of research I quickly realized genital herpes is a filthy parasite that just likes to hide in your body. Yes, there’s no “medical cure” but that doesn’t mean your body can’t get rid of it. I literally flush it out of my system with the help of Dr. Azu natural herbal medication which I ordered after doing some research. And now I’m HSV-2 Negative, I never believed it until my doctor finally gave me the test results and behold I was HSV free. I’m so glad that I found you Dr. Azu. Thanks so much for your goodness I’m grateful. You can also get your help from him through his Whats App Contact for fast communication +2347087313747 OR Email: dr.azuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts